Friday, March 27, 2009

Two is company, three's a crowd.

Because of the circumstances of December 2007 Trey has been permanently camped out in our bed. And let me be the one to tell you, I permanently put him there. We had tried a few times to put him in his own bed, but the anxiety I felt was unbearable.

The ironic part of all of this is that I was the first person to tell anyone that children sleeping in their parent's bed was crazy. Yes, crazy. And here I am, 15 months into having a child sleeping in my bed.


It has become so convenient in so many ways. Because, just go ahead and try to put him in his bed. Yea, good luck with that. It's not pretty. And who do we have to blame for that? Huh? Who?

Yep...me.


But, you see, one thing I swore I would not let happen, is happening. I refuse to let this circumstance be a "crutch" for him. I refuse to let the abuse define who Trey is. And I as his mother need to stop. He is 4 years-old and needs to sleep in his own bed.

Frank and I need our bed back to ourselves. Yea, it's a king size bed, but not meant for 3 of us. We need a few hours in the evening to ourselves.


(The funny part of this picture is that Frank is all the way at the edge of his side of the bed. Trey is smack-dab next to him, with the entire king bed behind Trey. It really is craziness.)


So tonight is it! After some discussion and planning, Trey will be put in his bed tonight, SuperNanny style. I know it won't be easy, but it needs to be done. So, around 9 o'clock tonight, could ya say a little prayer for us. All three of us.



2 comments:

Melissa said...

When my son sleeps in our bed, he does the exact same thing. These kids are heat-seekers! Good luck to you all. He will get used to it soon and it will have been worth it.

Peachy said...

My son is 5 1/2 and he STILL sleeps in our queen bed, but it is more my husbands fault. He too was the one saying before he was born, "we put an addition on the house for his own room, he's not sleeping in our bed." BUT shortly after he was born, every time you turned on the news there were stories about bad things happening to babies and it freaked my husband out to the point that he never wanted our son to sleep alone. He said he was scarred because of it--I tell him jokingly that I am getting scarred because I cant get a good night sleep because our boy too is a "heat seeking underwear sleeper" that GRINDS HIS TEETH--ahhh!! My husband has even gone as far as coming home at night to see that I have gotten him to sleep in his own bed and he WILL TAKE HIM OUT OF HIS BED AND BRING HIM INTO OUR BED!!! I will keep an eye on your progress and use you as an example of how to make this work!!