Sunday, September 7, 2008

Counseling...

Since the abuse in December I have not went to see a counselor. My mom kept telling me I needed to go and I think somewhere inside of me knew I should, but "always in control" Jocelyn, thought I will...later.

I don't have any "preconceived" ideas about counseling. Actually, in the words of the great "Pastor Robbie", "Counseling is not failure". I know this. My Dad is a counselor. But, I just kept putting it off.

You see, it's no easy task to find a counselor, let alone the "right" one. It usually takes a long time to get a first appointment. And...how do you know it it's a "fit". I want christian counseling, but how do you find that and what does that mean.

Frank and I have been to marriage counseling early in our marriage. We went to a "Christian" counselor, but didn't receive christian counseling. Let me explain. The counselor we saw was yes, a christian. Did we feel like her counseling was infused with what the Bible said about the topics?? Not so much.

So, therein lies my problem. But WAIT then, enter Barbara...

My friend Susan told me of a counselor she knew of at a church. This woman did not go to that specific church, but was employed by the church to offer counseling to the church and the general public.

Susan told me of Barbara and things she had been told about Barbara's counseling. "She tells you what the Bible says about it." "She prays with you."
I thought, "no way, this has to be too good to be true". Plus Barbara is an hour away from where we live now.

So Frank and I talked about what I should do. There is a counselor 15 minutes away from where we live that I could go to. But, I told him I felt like I was supposed to see Barbara. I asked him what he thought. My dear Frank-o told me he wanted me to see Barbara. That if I felt like that's where I felt I should go, then go. Love him!

So, long story short...I was placed on the "dreaded" waiting list. I'm not sure how long I was on it, but there were definitely times I thought the trial would be over and done with before I got in to see Barbara. But, lo and behold, the Lord is good and I saw Barbara on August 11th.

I have never been to a counselor like this (not that I frequent them). I was not told her opinion about how to handle things or what to do, but she grabbed her Bible and told me what God says I should do. WOW! We pray together. She is so wise.

I'll definitely be posting more about the changes the Lord is doing in my life. I'm excited to share them with you. If this tells you anything about it...my husband texted me one day, "I love Barbara. I think she's exactly what you need".

Love you Barbara, Love you Frank!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

YeSSS!! Barbara is great and I am so happy for you to see her. She is just amazing no doubt, truly a woman of God! We need to talk more about our barbara times... LOL