Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Forgivness is NOT a Feeling.

Forgiveness.

What does that mean? I don't know about you but, I think I associated forgiveness with a feeling or emotion. Or an automatic or expected response to an apology.

According to dictionary.com:

forgive:
1. to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.
2. to give up all claim on account of; remit (a debt, obligation, etc.).
3. to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies.

Well, after spending some time with my good friend Barbara, and spending time in God's Word. I have a new definition and understanding of what God intends for forgiveness.

Forgiveness is NOT a feeling.

Forgivness is not an OPTION, but an act of obedience to the will of God.
**Wow!! This is HUGE.**
Eph 4:32 - Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, as in Christ God forgave you.

Forgiveness is my responsibility and is not a natural response.
**Remember "seventy times seven"??

Forgiveness means to give up the offense and not get back at the offender.
Romans 12:19 - Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay" says the Lord.

Forgiveness gives the vengeance over to God.
**See above.**

Forgivness allows emotional freedom & healing.
**Praise the Lord!!**

Forgiveness is exemplified in the life of Jesus.
Luke 23:34


The ideal situation for forgiveness is between two people. Lovingly confronting, repent, reconcile, be accountable, etc.

The non-ideal situation (only one party participating) is between only you and God. Acknowledging the sin or hurt, decide to forgive, ask God to bless the offender (whew!), etc.

What I've learned is that it doesn't always involve two people to forgive. I don't have to wait for someone to apologize to me for me to forgive them. God doesn't want me to hold on to it. If we hold on to it, God cannot deal with it.

I am soo imperfect and soo unworthy of God's forgiveness. I am not a perfect person. "As much as it depends on me, I WANT to live at peace with all men." (my paraphrase) God wants a good life for me and he is giving me emotional freedom & healing.

Thank you Barbara for all your prayers and counseling. God is using you to minister to me more than you will ever know.

Please pray for me as I work through all of these things. You either get bitter or better.

1 comment:

Robin Lynn said...

Jocelyn,
Just saw your comment. First thanks and second WOO HOO that things are moving along so well!! That is AWESOME!! I have been thinking of you often these days hoping things were going well for your family. You are in my heart. I love this most recent post. Hits home for me in a whole different aspect. Thanks for being so smart and sharing!!
And yep that is a John Deere tractor. Cade loves tractors. Crazy kid!!
Ya'll have a great weekend and know someone in Texas has you in her heart and in her prayers!!
Robin