Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Beginning of the Story... (Part 2)

December 18, 2007 - My husband's Christmas party for his new job.



Not us, but you get the point.




We needed a sitter for Trey and of course, the likely people, would be our friend's parents. They loved Trey like their grandchild. Well, they were out of town, but my friend told me she thought her sister and brother-in-law would be willing to watch him. We worked it out.




We drove the hour drive with Frank that morning and dropped him off at work. Trey and I went to Frank's new partner's house and hung out with his wife for the day. It was a good time to get to know each other better. Such sweet people.




When Frank was finished at work, Trey and I picked him up and left to take Trey to the sitters. Plans had somewhat changed in that my friend's sister would not be there when we dropped him off, she had their teenage son at a doctor's appointment.




Trey was a little cranky when we left him...he had fallen asleep on the way, since he didn't get a nap during the day. We told our friend's brother-in-law to call if he needed anyting.





I called to check on Trey when we arrived at the party about an hour after we dropped him off. I was told he fell over their chocolate lab and was crying. I told the brother-in-law to call me if he didn't settle down. We never heard another word.




We rode with Frank's partner and his wife to the party and so they took us to pick up Trey. This was around 10 o'clock. I went in to get Trey and when he saw me, he immediately started crying and came to me. He told me his arm hurt.



Almost immediately, my friend's brother-in-law asked me if Trey liked to slide down the stairs on his butt. I thought this was odd and told him he only does it at our house to get from one floor to another and we live in a tri-level, so there's only 6 stairs at a time. He then told me that Trey must have slid down their stairs a million times. He also said that he and their teenage son had slid down the stairs too. Weird, for a 35 year-old man, for sure.




I told Trey that his Daddy would look at his arm when we returned to Frank's partner's house. He really fussed about it. The brother-in-law walked me out to the car and while I put Trey in the car he asked Frank about the stairs and a few other odd questions. Trey refused to hug him goodbye or even give him high-5.




When we returned to Frank's partner's house, we took off Trey's sweatshirt for his arm to be looked at. We all noticed some red marks on his shoulder/neck. Frank and his partner both checked out Trey's arm and said there was swelling. Their thoughts were maybe he sprained it while playing and we also attributed the red marks to playing. If his arm was not better after motrin and a nights sleep we would x-ray it in the morning.






(to be continued...)


Click here for Part 3.





3 comments:

Robin Lynn said...

Jocelyn,
I am glad you are back. I read Part 2 with a terrible aching feeling inside of me. I want to cry, I want to yell, I want to make this right for Trey and for your family. I appreciate your sharing and I wish there was something my family could do for yours to help. Know I am thinking of you and praying for ya'll and keeping your family close to my heart.
Robin

Kahla said...

I agree w/Robin, I had a terrible feeling while reading this. I'm not sure of the whole story, I need to go back and read your blog from the start, but I'm sending lots of P&PT for all that ya'll are going through.

Anonymous said...

reading this made me sick to my stomach... abuse of a child is heartbreaking and i can't imagine being the parent of a child who was abused.

praying for you all!