Friday, August 1, 2008

Friends Are Friends Forever??

According to Michael W. Smith, this is true, "if the Lord's the Lord of them". I've always thought, "wow, forever??". You see, I am a PK. Yep, the dreaded preacher's kid. (Love ya Dad!) No, really. It's something that I have always loved. However, being as such, we were never in one place for a long time for me to establish long-term friendships.

You hear people say, "oh Suzie and I have been friends since kindergarten". Not me... My sister and I are best friends because whenever we moved, we both moved. A built-in best friend! I love her for it and believe that's why we are as close as we are today. I wouldn't change it for the world!

Frank & I have been married for 11 years now and within the first year or so of our marriage we met a newly married couple at church. We've had great times together. Hanging out late at night, going to each other with the normal "newlywed" stuff, having children, being there for each other during hard times, etc. I saw us going to their kids graduations, weddings, being empty nesters together, etc. Did we have our disagreements?...oh yea, but seriously saw ourselves in the "forever friends" category. This was my longest lasting friend - EVER, with the exception of my hubby, and sister, of course.

Well, due to certain circumstances, this friendship has all but disintegrated. The circumstances are UGLY, let me tell you. It has to do with the abuse my son suffered. Terrible, terrible circumstances. No, they had nothing to do with it.

But, due to differing opinions/beliefs, this friendship is probably over. I can't believe I just typed those words. We have gone through so much with the abuse, that in itself is horrible. But, then to lose someone so close to you, someone you would normally depend on during this time, is another loss I am mourning. I have prayed and prayed, asking my God why this is happening. I have always held out hope that somewhere, sometime, that the truth would be revealed and that Michael W. Smith was RIGHT!!

However, it's been seven months and here I sit. Believing that I have to...let go. Ugh.

People have said to me, "why would you want to be friends with her now?" and "why are you still worrying about that?". A ten year friendship, gone in a flash.

But, I guess although friends are friends forever, it's not JUST because the Lord's the Lord of them. There is also free-will. Free will to choose to believe one thing or another. Free will. Free will to make a decision without knowing all of the facts. Free will. It hurts, man, does it hurt. But it's out of my hands. I put it in His hands, praying that He will reign in this situation. After all, HE is the Lord.

2 comments:

KSDallas said...

Hi. Thanks for your comment and the link. Definitely a help. I at least have some ideas to work with.

Your blog seems to be off to a great start. I am so sorry to hear of Trey's abuse. He is young so hopefully it will not remember too much when he is older (if any at all).

As for friends, well, I too had a friend I thought would be a friend forever. Heck it has been 12 years we have known each other. Unfortunately, over the past year and a half or so things have changed. Due to certain activities she has started heavily partaking in, I find that I really don't want to be around her anymore. It is sad but the fact is sometimes people aren't meant to be in your life forever. Sometimes people are brought into your life to help you through a difficult time. That as well as the fact that as people mature - they may grow in separate directions. Your ideas may no longer coincide with those of a friend. Cherish the friendship you had and move on. Hopefully you will find a new friends along the way.

Thanks again and hope for the best for you.

KS

Anonymous said...

Thought you might want to check out our blog and join the community. It's just getting started.

Subscribe to the blog and watch for more to come. Thanks!

www.ministerskid.com